Tuesday 29 August 2017

Praising Social Media

I sit here eating dinner-dumpling soup at my computer, on a cushion (Japanese style) with the fan blowing to keep this hot 3rd floor apartment in Surrey, BC tolerable. You could feel the intensity of the sun this evening as I walked home from the nearby Starbucks attached to the mall across the street. As I write Chiha is on the balcony trying to catch a breeze.

I contemplate the day filled with social media activity. I started having a reaction to social media about 6 years ago when I decided to close down my Facebook account due to inactivity and a sense of irresponsibility that went with its lack of use. I felt I could not devote the amount of time it took to properly attend to it. About 2 months ago it was time for me to open an Instagram account. I had to be convinced strongly to begin using it by a friend and teacher. Before that night came to a close I was a changed man. My ideas built around the platform were mostly false and my experience using it was different then anything I had expected. But that was enough for me. Just one was good - I could take full command over its use and it did not consume more of my time then I was willing to give. Then there was today - I wrote my first blog, signed up for Facebook with a new account, and I am an active tweeter. This is where I sit tonight.

I reestablished connections with people I had not contacted in years. I communicated with strangers from across the globe, people that yesterday I did not know existed - people that I could connect with not only due to the technology but also the subject. I did not anticipate such "traveling" when I woke up this morning. We are living in extraordinary times - really extraordinary. I contemplate this and I have gratitude in my humility - knowing I had false ideas.







 The wood forms can always be seen at: mikesasaki.com

3 comments: