Tuesday 24 October 2017

Dead Serious Artwork

I am dead serious.


A quote from "The Book of Mirdad" by Mikhail Naimy: "Die to live, or live to die."

Let me explain: "Die to live" refers to the dying of the ignorant mind, the mind of confusion, distortion, fragmentation, etc; the dying of which results in an abiding in the realm of pure energy (so to speak). This is the "treat" of the "trick or treat" : ) (Scary All Hallow's Eve!) The "trick" or less desirable of the two choices is "live to die". This refers to living a life that is constantly shadowed by our idea of death which stems from the totality of unrealistic psychological "fears" common in human beings. This is usually occurring at a subconscious level. Living this way must inevitably prevent the "dying to live" from taking place. So, a recognition of this subconscious fear of mortality is a prerequisite for living free of psychological restraints.

I will talk about Krishnamurti's contributions. Jiddu Krishnamurti talks of seriously looking at what is. Without first seeing clearly (without the interference/screen of the egoic mind/thought mind) the state of all things material (thought is considered material because it is a mechanical process in the field of physical time/motion - albeit a fast process (sometimes : ) ) ) one cannot proceed to penetrate into the depths of our inquiry into the true nature of reality. He often points out that as human beings, we must first start very very close in our inquiry. That closeness refers to the "me - the ego". If we are to understand the universe we must definitely first understand the human being but this is prevented by the fragmented way of seeing caused by the first fragmentation of the egoic mind "me and you". To see the fact of the ego in a "timeless" instant requires a total collection of energy, this gathering would not be possible without a certain seriousness or sense of urgency to "look".  If for no other reason, the man's work must be given proper attention due to the fact that he spent his entire career reiterating the same fundamental message - a message which, if not rooted in a true personal, factual, experiential understanding, the incessant transmission of which would not be possible to endure!

I have not transcended the egoic mind - I am a prisoner as of yet - but I would be lying if I said I have not tasted the fruits being offered. Perhaps this taste has encouraged the seriousness. I take this seriousness into my sketches of abstract form - poetry of line, contour, mass. I earnestly seek forms to awe, inspire, intrigue and to stimulate a sense of mystery - a mystery felt by fellow humans. I hope to establish connections with others through communication in the universal language of form - forms that touch the depths of human reality; prior to all culture, nations, tribes and war.

This is behind the wood forms. Thank you for reading.


MikeSasakiWoodForms.etsy.com



2 comments:

  1. Excellent reading! I am not convinced, I understood most of what I read, however, I did enjoy the stimulation of thought! I do understand, your desire, as stated in the final paragraph. I, too, have these feelings about the art I create...up until now, I did not know how to express my desire, as you have done, with beautiful eloquence. Thank you, Mike!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really appreciate your comment. I'm glad you let me know you didn't understand it completely as well. I am so happy to hear feedback. I think I maybe tried to compress a lot into a short post : ) Thank you Lorena

      Delete